History of the Peninsula Rose Society
On August 28, 1955, the Organizing Members of the Peninsula Rose Society met at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. Harvey Brown in Menlo Park. The Founding/Organizing Members of the Peninsula Rose Society were:
The Society was organized for the purpose of creating interest in the cultivating and exhibition of the rose. In pursuit of this purpose, the Society will maintain membership in the American Rose Society and Royal National Rose Society (Great Britain) and take active part in the functions of the Northern California-Nevada-Hawaii District of the American Rose Society.
The proposed Constitution and By-Laws were reviewed and approved. The officers for the year of 1955 were named as follow: President Mr. J. Harvey Brown, Vice-President Mr.Clay Morgan, Treasure Mr.Chris Van Coevering, Recording Secretary Mrs Linda Kunz, Corresponding Secretary Mr. Herb Vasconcelles, Directors Mr.Charles Kunz and Mrs. Laura Sutter. Each of the Organizing members donated $5.00 to the starting fund. The choosing of the name "Peninsula Rose Society" is not to be found in the Minutes, but was selected because the meeting location was half way between the San Mateo and Santa Clara Rose Societies.
The next Organizing meetings were held September 16 and 30, 1955 and October 22, 1955 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Clay Morgan. A letter was written to the American Rose Society to apply for a Charter. Some additions were added to the Constitution and By-Laws. Some of the members donated trophies for the Annual/Monthy rose shows.
The first Regular Meeting on November 8, 1955 was held at the Chamber of Commerce Building, Redwood City at 8:20 p.m. The presentation of the American Rose Society Charter was made to the members. All the organizing members, officers and the guests from San Francisco Rose Society were introduced. The 27 Charter members signed the Constitution and By-Laws.
The January 10, 1956 Regular Meeting held at the Chamber of Commerce Building was called to order at 8:15 p.m. The program was given by Mr. Paul Edwards on the pruning of your roses. A plant table was started with donated items from the members. The meeting was adjourned at 10:40 p.m.
The 1956 Spring Rose Show was held at Paul Dibert Buick Show Room in Redwood City on May 6, 1956. The show was a great success with a large number of exhibits and visitors. At the regular meeting May 15, 1956, the ribbons and trophies were given out. The Queen of the show was won by Dr. and Mrs. Persike. The best arrangement was won by Mrs. Clay Morgan.
The first regular meeting that was held in the Veteran's Memorial Building (our current meeting place) in Redwood City was on October 8, 1957. The rent for the meeting space was $10.00 a month. We have been in this building ever since except for part of 1982 when the Veteran's Building was remodeled. Also, we have had our Annual Rose Show in the Community Activities Building, 1400 Roosevelt Ave in Redwood City for many years at no cost to us because the show is free to the public.
Last updated: 3/7/09